Steve Lord holds a BEd and a postgraduate qualification in BESD as well as a Diploma in Educational Management and an MEd in Educational Research and Evaluation. He was an Ofsted Team Inspector from 1994 to 2004. As well as working in mainstream education and an adolescent psychiatric unit, he has been involved in opening a brand new residential and day, co-ed BESD school, the redevelopment of an MLD residential school to BESD, and successfully turning around a failing residential/day BESD school, which was one of the first to achieve Investor in People status. During his 12 years as Headteacher Steve was involved at county and national level with a range of initiatives.
After leaving Headship he spent 5 years as Senior Adviser (SEN) in Norfolk, among other things:
- Introducing and leading a county-wide approach to positive handling strategies and physical intervention in mainstream and special schools and chairing a multi-agency working group producing a joint health, social services and education policy and practice document on physical intervention.
- Created a county Multi-Agency Inset Strategy Group to plan and deliver all SEN training across the LEA.
- Involved in monitoring out of county provision (independent special) as Lead Officer for key schools.
- Leading the development of self review audit tools for Monitoring and Evaluation of SEN Provision and Behaviour Policy and Practice across Norfolk.
- Link Adviser for special and mainstream schools.
- Chaired the Eastern Region SEN Partnership Training and Communication Group (made up of 10 local LEAs).
At National Level:
- Treasurer and Membership Secretary for NAAOSEN, the National Association of Advisory Officers for Special Educational Needs for 4 years.
- Member of the Team Teach National Steering Group, holding Advanced Instructor status.
- Member of SEDBA (Social, Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties Association) since 1977 serving on the national council for 5 years and writing the Education Officer section of the newsletter for 2 years.
- A range of conference presentations as keynote and workshop speaker as well as bespoke consultancy work.
- Committee member of the Independent Children’s Homes Association (ICHA) since 2008, Co-Chair for 2 years and Chair from January 2013 to January 2015.
- Independent sector representative on the Federation of Leaders in Special Education (East) executive from 2008.