Jon has been Principal of Avocet House since its opening in 2005 until November 2013 when he took over as Principal of Turnstone House. He holds a BEd (Hons) and an MEd in Special Education. He has completed the National Professional Qualification for Headship (NPQH) and was in fact in one of the first special-school based staff to do so.
As well as working in mainstream education he has been involved in the development of a co-ed residential BESD school where he was promoted to senior teacher, he worked as Deputy Head resurrecting another BESD residential/day school where he than went on to be Headteacher consolidating and further developing successful practice illustrated by:
- Two strong Ofsted inspections and two equally strong National Care Standards Inspections
- Increasing the Investor in People quality practice, scoring exceptionally highly in its later profile assessment
- Successive National School Achievement Awards
- GCSE outcomes year on year 350% higher than the national average for similar schools
- In the national, value added tables scoring higher than any other school in Norfolk, regardless of its type, and scoring higher nationally than any other maintained school of its type
- The only school in 2003 in Norfolk to be awarded Arts Mark Gold Status and the only school of its type to do so nationally at the time
- A staff ‘well being’ audit (part of Norfolk’s well established and highly regarded Well Being Project) that revealed a stronger ‘well being’ profile than any other school in Norfolk
- Jon led Avocet House from opening through to its ‘Outstanding’ status which has been sustained since 2009.
At National Level:
- Jon has been a member of engage in their future the National Association of School Leaders within the Behavioural, Emotional and Social Difficulties sector (BESD) since it started at a national level in 1998 and joined the National Committee as Eastern Region Representative in 2002. After a year as Vice Chair, Jon became Chair of engage in their future in July 2008.
- Through his National connections Jon has played an active part in directly supporting and brokering support for numerous schools in difficulty.
- Jon has spoken at a number of conferences and events as well as being invited to sit on DfE working parties for BESD and Looked After Children.